This guide is intended for those who wish to convert from one DB format to another. The benefits are:
– You can use RocksDB as storage engine when you want to back up the database without the node application stopped,
– The Rocksdb engine has more tuning parameters for faster-synchronizing block and takes up less disk space when compared with the Block LevelDB.
You must only use one db engine (leveldb or rocksdb) throughout the life cycle of node because rocksdb’s data structure is incompatible with the leveldb’s. A convert tool is provided within Java-Tron to convert the leveldb data to rocksdb data and the usage of tool is described below. Please be aware that the conversion take time and the node is not syncing any blocks while this operation is ongoing.
1. First we need to clone the git and build it
git clone https://github.com/tronprotocol/java-tron
Just wait until it’s built and tested. Go grab a cup of tee or a coffee.
2. Then we need to stop the node
3. Now we need to use this Java converter package (DBConvert.jar) to perform the conversion. It is located here: /java-tron/build/libs/
Sample syntax looks like this
java -jar build/libs/DBConvert.jar your_database_dir/database output-directory-dst/database
Example syntax looks like this
java -jar /home/userdir/java-tron/build/libs/DBConvert.jar /home/userdir/FullNode/output-directory/database /home/userdir/FullNode/output-directory2/database
According to tron documentation it should take about 10 hours to finish the conversion. Well on my node it took about 67800 seconds. This translates to 18.8 hours. The process is not CPU or Memory bound, both my CPU and Memory usage never exceeded 10% or the allocated resources.